Author Topic: First month in the 115 Sport Nav  (Read 1550 times)

Offline BanzaiMike

• S Class
  • Body: Saloon
First month in the 115 Sport Nav
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »
Morning folks

So after 6 weeks owning my 2 here are a few of my initial thoughts id like to share about the car and my experience with it so far. I do rabbit on a bit so it may be lengthy.

The Exterior.
Looks are subjective but I really think Mazda have nailed this Kodo design language on all of the range and i think it has been applied to the 2 very well.
I love the sculpted lip on the front bumper, the painted details on the grill, the amazing details in the headlights, the sharp lines running down the sides are super smart too. I like the rear and I think Mazda did just enough to make it look smart, maybe a slightly larger spoiler would have finished it off.
The Alloys, i love the detail on them and they fill the arches nicely without being OYTT.
I know Mazda have previously had issues with corroded alloys so I aim to do my best to keep them clean and protected.
The Dynamic Mica Blue looks amazing and I am having lots of fun getting photos of it under different lighting conditions however I am already noticing the occasional blemish on the bumper from debris on the road, and from the previous owner as there are faint scratches on the drivers handle, edge of the boot etc from jewellery. These are minor gripes and to be honest they are expected given Mazda's habit of putting soft lacquer on their cars, after winter she's getting the full works applied to bring her back to showroom condition and make the paintwork more durable.

The Interior.
This has really come as the biggest surprise to me, I have been blown away by the interior more so the more i am experiencing being in it.
My last supermini car i owned was 13 years ago and was a Saxo VTS, and at the time my best mate had a 106gti. Those were fun days of driving tin cans with iffy ergonomics and you were one of the lucky few if you got electric windows, air con and a cd player haha.
Now sure the game has moved on significantly in that time but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the interior feels modern, and premium to both look at and be in and not at all like a "budget" B Segment car.
I have one major issue with though, the parcel shelf and the boot floor when empty. Rattle rattle rattle, then some extra rattle for good measure. My old 3MPS suffered the same parcel shelf rattles but not as badly as this. I understand they are both super thin to save weight but it was an annoyance and was quickly solved with sticky felt strips put on key points.

Driving.
This was another which has been a very nice surprise.
I had read up on the Mazda 2 before buying so I was expecting a decent car and drive, Conversely after spending so long in MR2's, various Civic Type R's, 3MPS, I had set my expectations for the 2 lower as it isn't a hot hatch and i thought that it wouldn't be up to those entertaining standards of previous cars. What i have found is that this is a car that actually does a few things better than some of my previous cars and is up there with any of them for being an enjoyment to drive.
Being first and foremost a family car the 2 has so far impressed me, it is super easy to drive and is the engine is very smooth, the engine is almost silent, the ride is stated in the press as firm yet for me its damn near perfect for me and very comfy, the cloth seats are really comfortable too, all the driver controls are well judged and feel great, maybe the steering is a little light but it is accurate.
I took the 2 across one of my regular North Wales trips (i live in Stockport) and again i was impressed by how the car behaves on the motorway, I didn't come across any issues or scenarios that it couldn?t cope with in a positive way.

I also bought the 2 because I wanted a supermini I could have some fun in when not ferrying the family about, I genuinely forgot how much fun a properly sorted and sporty B Segment car can be. The 2 feels really light on its feet and I love barrelling into and out of bends/roundabouts. And the revs, that engine loves revs which isn?t a surprise given it?s the same one that?s in the MX5. Coming out of a bend in third and revving the car out reminds me of my old Honda's and it makes a really nice noise too. And the bonus is the majority of the time driving on the peak district roads round I am not actually going that quickly lol.

All in all super chuffed to have bought into the 2 life, I can see this being a car I keep for a fair while  :)
2015 Mazda 2 115 Sport Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica.

Mods: K&N Panel filter. (I'm trying my best to avoid modding it honest......yeah that wont happen)

Offline steve67

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
Re: First month in the 115 Sport Nav
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
we still love our little mazda 12 months on, a great little car :)
just had first service, trouble free motoring so far....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:24:23 PM by steve67 »

Offline Souper

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Haven't heard any rattle from the parcel shelf or floor; I have the mat on the floor though and that's quite heavy.

Offline BanzaiMike

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »
The rattle isn't huge and was only really on uneven/tough surfaces, i figured out what it was by putting a blanket on the parcel shelf and the boot floor and the rattle stopped. But sticky felt sorted it.

Just got to now resist the modding bug haha
2015 Mazda 2 115 Sport Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica.

Mods: K&N Panel filter. (I'm trying my best to avoid modding it honest......yeah that wont happen)

Offline harryeye

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
Nice review, had mine about 2 months now and love it. Paint was full of swirls so I did give it a  claying and machine polish to make it look a bit better and will do it properly in spring. The paint does seem very soft.
No rattles anywhere in mine though and  all seems well screwed together.

Harry.

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »