Author Topic: Rhythmic but quiet noise on steering - 2014 Sport  (Read 3576 times)

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
  • Body: Saloon
Rhythmic but quiet noise on steering - 2014 Sport
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
The car is sitting at about 22000 miles, so probably due it's 25k service in March at the rate I'm going.

Typically only on very smooth roads, I seem to have picked up a very quiet throbbing thud... It seems ever so slightly louder as I steer to the left, entering a large roundabout for example. I'm almost but not quite sure I can feel it tickling my foot through the brake pedal... Driving myself mad trying to diagnose it so I could be wrong. It doesn't affect the car at speed at all and actually becomes inaudible. But it definitely changes rhythm as the car changes speed rather than as I change RPM.

I've checked the tyres on both sides at the front, I actually thought I'd cracked it when I found a bloomin great nail in the driver side tyre. Had that replaced with a new tyre which I rotated to the back to match tread up front... Checked all tyres and removed a few small stones.

Visually checked the CV joints and boots with my untrained eye, but can't see any signs of damage to the boots of leaky grease. I'd hope that isn't the issue at this low mileage also.

I'll probably book it in for an inspection in the new year.
Any other ideas in the meantime would be appreciated!

Merry Christmas,
Kay

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
Re: Rhythmic but quiet noise on steering - 2014 Sport
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »
Kay,

How are the pads and disc's ?  does the noise alter when braking ( apart from obviously you slowing down changes the rate )

When you rotated the tyres did you notice the shock, spring arrangmement, location etc ?

Steering rod ball end, lower wishbone ball joint ?

If you jack the car up and let the front wheel ( offending side ) dangle can you feel any clunk / movement if you grab the wheel top to bottom and yank pull push etc ?

Shaun.....

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
Pads are the originals, it's my third car and I'm generally hitting the end of their life by the third year service but that's a vague rule of thumb, I know.

I can't see anything untoward on the outside of the discs. Haven't been able to check the other side much, the bits I have seen look ok.

It sort of feels like the noise becomes more noticeable when braking though. Would stand to reason as I hit the brakes as I'm entering a roundabout.

Had the tyre shop rotate the tyres, so didn't check any suspension or steering components.

If I get a chance I'll try jacking the front up and see if there's any play there at some point this week.

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
So again, not a mechanic, but visually the outer tie rod end appears bent. I'll have to take it easy and get that booked in for new year.

A nice Christmas treat  >:(

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
kaytronika....

The rod ends do have a kink in them....

Shaun......

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:04:48 AM »
It's the actual bolt part passing through the spindle that has bent back a couple of degrees. Comparison with the other side gives it away. 

Weird thing is I don't recall hitting any pothole since the last surface but given the state of roads... Maybe I did.

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »
Hmm having looked at some diagrammatic parts of track rod ends I can see where I may have assumed something is wrong but maybe not now. They're a ball joint where they pass through the spindle and so designed to maybe not be specifically straight or bent perhaps. I still need to take it in for a look I think but I suspect my worries of losing all steering suddenly may be a bit unfounded! Leave mechanics to the mechanics may be the ultimate advice here.

Offline kaytronika

• TS2 Class
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
Since I don't like posting threads without closure...
Mazda garage found a slight buckle in a rear alloy, but little else of concern... They didn't think that was the cause of any noise but the noise has definitely gone.
Since I'm borderline OCD about unusual noises I'll be keeping my ears open but the cars running sweet again once more.

Offline Si

• Sport Class
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
I know what you mean about noises!  Hopefully yours will be OK from now.

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »