Author Topic: Banging from front suspension  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Seagull

• S Class
Banging from front suspension
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi all. When driving slowly and turning get a horrible banging from front of car. It's fine going at speed just when monuvering slowly. Any ideas pls. Cheers.

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
  • Body: Saloon
Re: Banging from front suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Seagull,

Is it more a clunk clunk clunk as you drive forward on full or nearly full lock ?   CV joint ?

Is it only one direction of turn or both ?

On any road or just one ? have you tried it on a flat carpark ?

Shaun.....

Offline Seagull

• S Class
Re: Banging from front suspension
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
Hi Shaun

Difficult to explain, could be disc ribbed as a heavy clunk, and yes when going towards full lock, not at full lock though. Think I can feel it through the steering as well but not sure. It happens when turning left or right, forward or reverse, but only at very low monuvering speeds. When upto normal road speeds all feels ok. It's not the road surface as does it all the time where ever I am.

Offline sussexblogger

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
Banging from front suspension or steering
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
I am also hearing a clunking noise when turning the wheel.  I was ignoring it, but recently had some bodywork done and the technicians at the bodyshop spotted it during their checks - for which i was very grateful.  They believe the problem lies in the steering rack, and they think it sounds as if a notch is missing, causing the noise.  A quick search online revealed this article where a Mazda 2 owner had the lower steering column replaced and reported "the dealer said Mazda are aware that there is a wide-spread problem with the steering column and there could be a recall on the part" http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/2/reliability

I contacted the dealer who has agreed to deal with it under warranty, but says the steering column just needs greasing. This sounds like I'm being fobbed off, and my warranty expires in July so I want to be prepared to assert myself.  Has anyone experienced this? And managed to get it resolved?   

Mazda 2 Forums UK

Banging from front suspension or steering
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »