Author Topic: Fuel filler flap - anyone had problems?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline DSPUK

• TS2 Class
Fuel filler flap - anyone had problems?
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
Wife came home from shopping and said I had job shutting fuel filler flap - so went and took a look -- it opens fine but when you push it shut it doesn't press the little plastic plunger in - looks like it's sticking out too far - so got a spray can of plastic lubricant and sprayed all round plunger - it's better but needs a steady press on flap to get it to close -- Anyone else had problems ?????
It's been fine for 18 months so looks like a phone call to dealer.

Dave

Offline angelos

• Don't upset the rythm!!
  • Ultimate Class
  • Now that's zoom zoom
  • Body: Saloon
Re: Fuel filler flap - anyone had problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
Mentioned here some times, I had the problem and took it to the garage to grease the mechanism!

Offline Alex1706

• S Class
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
Wifes car, same problem. 2010 TS2 only done 5,000 miles. The pin retracts easily if pushed in with my thumb. The only way we can shut it is with one holding up the lever & the other pushing the flap in place.

There seems to be a plastic lever below in front of the pin, can't work out what that does?

Brilliant little car though, I drive a Saab 6 speed auto, but I love the little Mazda.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Alex
If it wasn't for frisking at airports and pickpockets I'd have no sex life at all:................ Rodney Dangerfield

Offline ashlizzard

• S Class
  • ashlizzard
    • ashlizzard
    • Email
  • Body: Hatchback
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »

(hi all - just posted the following on a similar forum thread)

My sister just bought a Mazda 2 and had the same problem with the gas flap,
it's a really easy cure, the pin assembly fits into the hole as a bayonet fitting,
just push it in and twist it, this one had popped out...anyway, once back in it's
fitted position it seemed obvious that the pin was too long...which is why she
couldn't get it to open and it required a silly amount of pressure to close (I read
here that some have actually snapped the pin off trying to close it)...

All you need is a screwdriver, (best to wrap it in a rag or cover it with tape)
then insert it into the curved striker plate on the inside of the flap that engages
with the pin, hold the flap firmly (you don't want to bend the flap itself) and VERY
GENTLY bend the striker plate inwards a few mm...then test and repeat until you
get it right, which should be only just holding the pin, you'll know if you have it too
loose because the flap will open when you hit a bump - but loose is better than tight,
if you bend it so far that it requires a lot of force to close, bend it back the other way,
it's an extremely thin piece of steel so doesn't need much force to move it...

So far the clonking rear shocks are an irritation, as is the first gear ratio, (which
seems to have been designed just in case you need to drive the car up the side
of a house) but it's a nice handling car, bet it would be fun to slam it and hurl it
around a race track...can't see me giving up my Cougar for one though...  ;- )

ashlizzard

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »