Author Topic: Pluses and minuses of wider tyres?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline BCRider

• S Class
Pluses and minuses of wider tyres?
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
I'm looking at options right now for changing my wheels and tyres from stock to something aftermarket.

But I'm wondering what the pluses and minuses are to going wider.  Obviously wider gives more footprint so it should grip better for both braking and cornering.  And it certainly looks better since that is what we are all used to seeing as "performance". But what about fuel efficiency?  Has anyone noticed that their wider tyres resulted in less km or miles per tank?

The other aspect I'm hoping to improve is to lose a bit of weight per corner.  But in going from 15x6 inch steel wheels and the 185/55R15 tyres over to 16x7 mag wheels and 205/45H16 I'm wondering how much, if any, weight I'll save.  Sadly few makers seem to include the weights of their wheels or tyres in the specs.  Did any of you ever weigh your stock wheels and tyres and compare them to the aftermarket setups?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:10:58 AM by BCRider »
Two or four wheels, it's all a big grin!

Offline Smthers

• TS2 Class
Re: Pluses and minuses of wider tyres?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »
Might be completely wrong here, but you might have to check there is enough clearance in the wheel arches, particularly at the front, to accommodate the wider tyres.

Offline omzbda

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
http://www.dtrbs.com/mazda-2_%282007_%29-wheels-and-rims.html

that is a good site for possible wheel/tyre combinations

I plan on getting aftermarket suspension when i change my wheels..

Thinking about 17inch rims with low profile tires along with

"KIDO 6 POT BRAKES CALIPER KIT MAZDA 2 13" ROTOR"

Or 16inch rims with a fatter racing looking tire

Offline MSBurger065

• TS Class
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
I have 15x6.5J alloys with 195/50/15 tyres, 205/50/15's fit as well.  My suspension is lowered by H&R, that's between 38-34mm.  Both sizes have no rubbing.  But if you lower the car stick to 15's as the ride is harsh.  The wider wheels look great and my combo handles flawless.  I can floor it through any turn.  As for economy, I got 6.1l/100km's today but average 7.2l, but I drive hard and my car's not stock.  There aint really a big difference with fuel, but you're going to love the suspension and wheels, especially if your next to a stock 2.

Offline BCRider

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
The store that's bringing in the wheels has already said that if they don't fit then they'll deal with sending them back to the supplier and no fault or cost to me.  And if the wheels fit but the tires don't then it's the same story.  Thus is the advantage of paying a bit more to go through a good store instead of buying sight unseen online.

The harshness is also why I don't want to go with anything lower in aspect than 45 series.  And even at that I'm thinking that I'll borrow a GPS and try some speedo testing.  A 205/45H16 is the same tread diameter as the stock tires.  If the GPS testing shows that the speedo is quite "optimistic" I"m considering going for 205/50H16's.  Those would give me a 24 inch diameter vs 23.2 for the '45's.  If that 4% change matches up the speedo I'd gain by not having first gear run out of revs quite as fast as it does now.  As it is I'm up over 5K before I even get through a 4 lane intersection.

Mind you.... there's something to be said for having an optimistic speedo.  We tend to forget that it's reading over the true speed and drive where we feel like we're pushing the limit that the nice radar officer will overlook.  But with a TRUE reading we'd likely still speed by the same amount.  But now the nice officer won't be so inclined to let us get away scot free.  This would be one of those "pluses and minuses" to ponder.... :D
Two or four wheels, it's all a big grin!

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »