Author Topic: Petrol Cap Door won't close  (Read 5801 times)

Offline idaven

• S Class
    • Email
Petrol Cap Door won't close
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »
Hi there

Hope someone on here can help - did a search but didn't find a problem like this before

When I use the catch next to the driver's seat to open the petrol cap, it works fine. When I finish filling up with petrol and then try and close the flap it won't shut though.

I have to get someone to pull the catch by the driver's seat (which pulls the little spring loaded pin in) while I push the door shut - then the other person stops pulling the catch which lets the spring loaded pin come back...

A bit of a pain to say the least! Anyone know the solution to this problem? Under warranty still so can go to Mazda just wondered if there was a quick well-known fix?

Offline dumpling

• TS2 Class
    • Email
  • Body: Saloon
Re: Petrol Cap Door won't close
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
It sounds like there could be several reasons why the pin is not engaging properly.

Is the pin slightly bent, the inner cable sticking in the outer (needs a little grease), the hole in the flap slightly bent or twisted or maybe the cable has stretched?

Without seeing it that is my only thoughts.

If none of the above take it back to the garage.

Offline Neon

• I like Jap cars.
  • Sport Class
  • Confused.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
See if you can make a video of it and put it on YouTube for us to look at  8)

Offline Smthers

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
Mine has started doing this. I've resorted to licking my finger and wiping it on the metal catch inside the colour coded fuel filler cover. This helps the door to close a little more easily. This works for now until I get round to taking a closer look.

Offline lukas1601

• S Class
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
I also have this prob its a real pain its steadily got worse. I hold a credit card over the pin and then pull it out real fast as im closing the door.
This does the trick for now.  :)

Offline idaven

• S Class
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
hi

thanks for the replies, didn't get chance to check back here yet.

The credit idea is smart, like it :) I can see the card snapping one of the times though...

Maybe some wd40 on the pin would help for a while, until it wore off :(

Offline headache56

• TS Class
  • Body: Saloon
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
I had a similar problem last month.

What was happening was that the black (platsic) probe was sticking out too far and this prevented the flap door from closing. 

By taking the cable /probe mechanism apart, I was able to insert a small washer (perhaps 4mm external diameter) inside the part so that the probe then protruded about 1.5mm less further forward than it had done previously.  If you can see the red marking on the attached picture, of the "deconstructed" mechanism,  this was where I installed the washer.

Offline Vitblitz

• TS2 Class
    • ASF Gaming
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
I had a similar problem last month.

What was happening was that the black (platsic) probe was sticking out too far and this prevented the flap door from closing. 

By taking the cable /probe mechanism apart, I was able to insert a small washer (perhaps 4mm external diameter) inside the part so that the probe then protruded about 1.5mm less further forward than it had done previously.  If you can see the red marking on the attached picture, of the "deconstructed" mechanism,  this was where I installed the washer.

Nice one....thanks

Offline idaven

• S Class
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
nice, thank you for that - will try it.

Offline ashlizzard

• S Class
  • ashlizzard
    • ashlizzard
    • Email
  • Body: Hatchback
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
My sister just bought a Mazda 2 and had the same problem with the gas flap,
it's a really easy cure, the pin assembly fits into the hole as a bayonet fitting,
just push it in and twist it, this one had popped out...anyway, once back in it's
fitted position it seemed obvious that the pin was too long...which is why she
couldn't get it to open and it required a silly amount of pressure to close (I read
here that some have actually snapped the pin off trying to close it)...

All you need is a screwdriver, (best to wrap it in a rag or cover it with tape)
then insert it into the curved striker plate on the inside of the flap that engages
with the pin, hold the flap firmly (you don't want to bend the flap itself) and VERY
GENTLY bend the striker plate inwards a few mm...then test and repeat until you
get it right, which should be only just holding the pin, you'll know if you have it too
loose because the flap will open when you hit a bump - but loose is better than tight,
if you bend it so far that it requires a lot of force to close, bend it back the other way,
it's an extremely thin piece of steel so doesn't need much force to move it...

So far the clonking rear shocks are an irritation, as is the first gear ratio, (which
seems to have been designed just in case you need to drive the car up the side
of a house) but it's a nice handling car, bet it would be fun to slam it and hurl it
around a race track...can't see me giving up my Cougar for one though...  ;- )

ashlizzard

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »