Author Topic: MOT failed due to steering rack gaiter being insecure.  (Read 1701 times)

Offline sv722

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
MOT failed due to steering rack gaiter being insecure.
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:26:35 AM »
This happened yesterday and my car didn't pass. There is also some slight play to inner rack joints. The MOT cost 25 quid which was a surprise as the main dealer asks about 54 for one. Anyway I had the MOT done at MrClutch and they said the gaiter can be fixed for about 50-60 quid as it'll need a new one.
What i wanna know is;

1) Am i being ripped off or is the guy being genuine? I'm always paranoid about being ripped off my mechanics after reading too many horror stories.

2) Is it safe and legal to drive a car with a failed MOT? What are the consequences if caught by police?

Thanks.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • TS2 Class
  • Watching events
    • Email
  • Body: Hatchback
Re: MOT failed due to steering rack gaiter being insecure.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
Sorry your car failed, but my thoughts are, you successfully got a cheaper MOT and considering your car is 2008 it is to be expected that things might begin to fail. I doubt you are being ripped off, people like Mr Clutch have too much to lose (reputation) from adverse publicity.

Regards your second question. Your car failed the MOT and is therefore now illegal to use on the road. There is only one circumstance that allows you to use the car. That is if you are on the way to an recognised MOT station to attend a  pre-booked MOT retest.

Consequences if stopped would depend on the Police officer stopping you.  No points are issued on a drivers licence although a fine can be imposed by court of up to a maximum of ?1000.
A fixed penalty notice is usually the method dealt with by police which costs the driver ?60.

Also please be aware that if you use the car without a current MOT Certificate, then your insurance is also invalid. Should you have an accident whilst in this situation, the consequences could be horrendous.

Mazda 2 Forums UK

Re: MOT failed due to steering rack gaiter being insecure.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »