Author Topic: Steering shaft rattle/knock  (Read 1984 times)

Offline the ink monitor

• Tamura
  • Body: Saloon
Steering shaft rattle/knock
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
My wife's 8 year old 1.3 TS2 suffered from this from day one but at each service I was fobbed off with either they had done something about it (which they hadn't) or it was a quirk of this model and we would have to live with it.

Fast forward to the present day and at the last service was an unasked for application of a very thick grease to cure "knock from steering shaft" at the cost of ?12 + VAT and it has cured the problem!!

Hmm, so I ask myself "Why wasn't this done 8 years ago" and "Why the **** should I now have to pay for it?". Email to Mazda came to nothing, or so it seemed, but now I have had a ?15 voucher from the local dealer off my next service with no sorry or this is regarding your complaint.

It has taken them 8 years to sort that fault out.  >:(

Offline wawg

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
Re: Steering shaft rattle/knock
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
There was a technical bulletin from Mazda for this, it is a common problem and also affects some Ford and Toyota cars. ?12+ VAT was a bargain to have the shaft re greased. I've been quoted ?27+ VAT for the grease to do it myself. There has been at least 2 revisions of the grease and 3 revised steering shafts. The local dealer denied that my car was affected by this or that it was a wide spread issue.

Offline Avocet

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
Hi All.  I'm new on here.  My daughter has a 2010 Mazda 2 (Petrol 85 bhp, 4 door) and I have the dubious honour of trying to keep it on the road!  It has a similar problem.  A slight knocking / rattling at low speeds / parking speeds.  In fact, it was an MOT advisory a couple of weeks ago - "slight steering knock but no visible defect detected".  Does anyone know what sort of a job re-greasing this intermediate shaft is, as a DIY proposition, please?

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »