Author Topic: Modifications & Power Upgrades  (Read 1229 times)

Offline hjm3251

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
Modifications & Power Upgrades
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
Hey all,

Out of sheer curiosity and a little casual research for myself, what (if any) modifications have you done to your past or existing M2's? Aesthetically, functionally or otherwise?

I'm currently running a 09 1.3 74BHP TS and my designs for it are endless, I think the car will die before I have possibly get close to having done EVERYTHING i could imagine for it. That or I run out of money. My knowledge of cars is mainly theoretical so I'm not entirely sure some of these are practical ideas but somewhere down the line I would love to throw new headers and a full new exhaust on it but I've heard that's a tricky process due to where Mazda have chosen to place the catalytic converter. I'm definitely going to have it reflashed/remapped (Is there a difference?) in the next 6 months, upgrade the front discs hopefully, chuck that ''sporty'' back box that Mazda have on their website on purely for funs sake, besides a plethora of cosmetic changes such as new alloys, alloy pedals and an arm rest that I've already ordered. I've already begun my weight saving plans by removing the back seats which seems to have very very marginally improved its performance. Its equally possible that I'm entirely imagining that.

What kind of power gains have you managed to make with your M2's? (Without investing in costly and complicated forced induction?)

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
Re: Modifications & Power Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
hm3251...

There are lots of cosmetic changes you can do, as you say wheels, lowered, spoiler, splitter, paint dash and door parts, foot well lights, led interior lights, gear stick boot etc...

An SRI or CAI is a good starting point, a better exhaust helps too, lets the zoom zoom breathe more easily....

Headers are an option, lot of money for not too much power gain tho...

I used to run standard 1.3 74bhp Mazda 2, then CS SRI with a DIY 2" stainless cat-back giving 88bhp on the rollers..  the re-flash released the 10bhp locked up by mazda as its the base model ( my wifes Tamura 10bhp more than mine as standard ) so 98bhp there...

Then the re-flash was worked on to give the 10-12bhp gain that most of the firms say they can do...

The biggest difference before the peak power was altered was the driveabilty... completely different car with the throttle map "lumps" sorted, the next file brought the VVT kick down to 2-2.5k instead of the 3-3.5k kick as standard, the car pulls like a train now with the 15" wheels on all the way up to the 7400 limiter ( taken up from the 6800 standard )...

Shaun....

Offline hjm3251

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:29:56 PM »
hm3251...

There are lots of cosmetic changes you can do, as you say wheels, lowered, spoiler, splitter, paint dash and door parts, foot well lights, led interior lights, gear stick boot etc...

An SRI or CAI is a good starting point, a better exhaust helps too, lets the zoom zoom breathe more easily....

Headers are an option, lot of money for not too much power gain tho...

I used to run standard 1.3 74bhp Mazda 2, then CS SRI with a DIY 2" stainless cat-back giving 88bhp on the rollers..  the re-flash released the 10bhp locked up by mazda as its the base model ( my wifes Tamura 10bhp more than mine as standard ) so 98bhp there...

Then the re-flash was worked on to give the 10-12bhp gain that most of the firms say they can do...

The biggest difference before the peak power was altered was the driveabilty... completely different car with the throttle map "lumps" sorted, the next file brought the VVT kick down to 2-2.5k instead of the 3-3.5k kick as standard, the car pulls like a train now with the 15" wheels on all the way up to the 7400 limiter ( taken up from the 6800 standard )...

Shaun....

I think I'm really thinking of something more subtle cosmetically, chuck a set of flashy alloys on with the back box and keep the rest of the aesthetic changes to the interior. The simpler the better in my book.

I'm sorry, I am a novice, SRI & CAI? And I was until now, under the impression that to yield gains from the exhaust one had to start at the headers?

I've heard of this ''hidden'' 10BHP and noticed the TS2 and Tamura have 84BHP as standard in what I can only imagine is the exact same 1.3 engine, what process specifically is tweaked from the ECU to unlock it? I must admit I'd love to have that bit of pull kick in sooner with the VVT, I almost live in second gear. How does the engine handle revving to the limiter on the regular? I limit myself to keeping it in the higher end of mid-range (Below 4.2k or thereabouts) as it is my daily driver so I never really give it all that welly.

Henry...

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »