Author Topic: Making Soot Sprite Great Again?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
Making Soot Sprite Great Again?
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »
OK, so I've already said which M2 I own in my introductory thread here: http://www.mazda2forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=2752.0

Now it's time to start blogging it's journey through maintenance and modifications. I'll start by splitting this down into 3 sections: Bodywork and interior, maintenance and mechanical mods.  Bearing in mind this is my daily driver and not some kind of street racer the intention is to enhance the 2's inherent abilities while retaining the ease of use and practicality it provides. So...

Bodywork and interior:
  • Thoroughly clean the interior - 83k miles has started to show and the interior of the car is in need of a bloody good valet to remove the various marks etc
  • Detail the exterior for the same reasons as the interior. The car is straight with no panel dings or corrosion (yet) but is in dire need of a correction detail and wax. I'll probably run a detail thread for these two items
  • Some oaf in Sainsurys car park recently cracked the driver side wing mirror casing so I'll need to replace
  • I'm considering fitting the Seat front splitter as the side skirts mean that the front end is a bit lacking in visual impact
  • Upgrade the headlights and DRL's in a nice low level mod
  • Paint the brake calipers and drums as they look a little sorry for themselves and somehow conspire to bring the car down a bit - DONE!
  • Refurbish the wheels, the paint is flaking and the tyres are losing pressure and I think it's down to the porosity of the alloy - DONE!

Maintenance:
  • Replace the auxiliary drive belt
  • Replace the water pump and coolant
  • Replace the Spark Plugs
  • Replace the filters - air, oil, fuel and pollen
  • Replace any worn suspension bushes and drive train components as they crop up
  • Replace the brake and clutch fluid
  • Replace the gearbox oil

Mechanical mods:
  • Upgrade the brakes with some braided lines, Dot 5 fluid and uprated discs and pads
  • Fit K+N panel filter
  • New exhaust to allow free-er movement of gases. Have looked at the racing beat one but there's a place not far from me that custom builds exhaust so once I've figured out tubing diameters etc then I'll be paying them a visit for a cat back system
  • Fit a set of Eibach lowering springs. A quick test says that the dampers are still ok (but probably getting towards the end of their service life) so I'll leave these for now
  • I'll consider a remap for throttle response and mid range performance as top end gains will never be that great from a small capacity NA engine!

Any suggestions for further maintenance activities and mods would be welcome, but please bear in mind that this is my daily; if I want to drive something that is deafeningly noisy, is as stiff as a board and impractical then I'll bring the Lotus out of the garage!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:22:34 AM by Soot Sprite »
2009 Mazda 2 Sport "Soot Sprite" - the dependable daily!

2016 Lotus Elise S "Lotoro" - for the fun times!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • TS2 Class
  • Watching events
    • Email
  • Body: Hatchback
Re: Making Soot Sprite Great Again?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »
I'm sure that there will be more than a few members following your progress.  Good start :)  Thank you for your participation.

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
Scoot Sprite....

Nice comprehensive list of mods and work that I think have been done by most members in various forms over the years.....

Plugs should have been done at 60k if its been serviced properly so should still be good...

Shaun....

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
Thanks chaps.

Shaun, for the sake of ?32 and 10 minutes to fit them I've got a new set of Denso's on the way. There's a little of hesitancy when the throttle is pressed under load and slight lumpiness on a steady throttle at speed so changing the plugs seems like a decent starting point. Chances are this set of plugs will see out my tenure with the car and I will have the peace of mind knowing they've been done.

As mentioned before the alloys were in a sorry state when I bought the car, the usual dings and scrapes and lots of flaking paint. The photo's don't really do them justice for the state they were in! I was losing air in the 2 back wheels, worst loss rate was about 7psi in a week. Having them refurbished means that I will have new valves in there and fresh paint to seal the aluminium. There was no damage to the tyres either externally of internally...

So when winter arrived and I fitted my set of steelies and cold weather tyres I took the opportunity to have the alloys refurbished and finished in bronze, I was aiming for Rays Gold but this was about as close as I could manage. I like the design of the wheels and I think the colour suits them. The paint looked quite flat in the refurb'd pic so they've been sat in my living room since they came back from the powder coaters receiving a weekly coat of Poor Boys World Wheel Sealant, 8 coats so far and they look  8) Plenty more to go on yet but the wax gives them a very slick look and really brings out the metal flake in the paint.

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »
Soot Sprite,

Looks about right for mazda alloys....

Wifes Tamura ones...   

Used Big White High Temp Wax on my wheels for my other mazda when i got them refurbed....

Nice refurb job....

Shaun.....

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
Shaun, I think the original finish on Mazda wheels is a weak point, my old MX-5 wheels bubbled and flaked far earlier than I had expected too. I wonder if it's a Japanese thing as they don't salt their roads?  ??? I still miss that car, I'll post a pic next chance I get!

What is your 'other Mazda?'

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
Soot Sprite...

Mazda MX6, fancied something different than all the scooby civic MX5's ( sorry ) etc that are at all the car meets, pockets not deep enough for an RX7 or an R32 etc.... neede a project car as the 2 is my daily...

https://ibb.co/gHi3vQ

https://ibb.co/hHTRPQ

Shaun.....

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
The MX-6 was always a good looking coupe  8) Did they fit the 2 litre V6 into them during the production run? There's some work gone into yours that's for sure, is the colour change paint or a wrap?

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
I took advantage of the cold but dry weather to do some work on Soot Sprite this weekend. I set about fitting the LED sidelights, the air filter and the spark plugs, all low level stuff but needed doing.

First up were the sidelights. I bought a pack of 10 LED's from Amazon, 9000K so a nice white light with the added bonus that they should run cooler and draw less current than the OEM halogens. They don't have the same snug fit into the lamp holders as the old halogens so time and vibration will tell whether they work OK or if a slightly greater investment is better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IN1M2DK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According the handbook you need to remove or at least back the arch liner to gain access to the bulb holder although there's at least one Youtube video that reckons and of hand contorting and 10 minutes in the engine bay will have the same effect. In this particular instance the hand book is right and Youtube is wrong.

Having fought against the wheel on the passenger side I'll add that life is made significantly easier by jacking the car up and removing the wheels to gain access to the arch liner front section. once this is done actually replacing the bulbs is easy!

The old halogen bulbs were looking very tired, plenty of vapourised element on the inside of the glass:

Before:

After  8):

I've added polishing the headlamp cover to the list of 2018 jobs  ;D

Offline cosh68

• MPS Class
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »
Soot Sprite,

The non angel eye ones can be done from the engine bay, but never managed to do the wife's Tamura from there, always pop the plastic inner wing ( arch liner ) back a bit near the headlight and squeeze my hand in, usual tight space wounds but a lot less hassle than taking the headlight out....

Yea spent far too much, some rot repairs & full re-spray... It took ?120 worth of rattle cans to choose the colour, amazing how an oring in sun light looks brown on a dull day in Hapton.... Ended up with Mazda 25T....

Shaun....

Offline Soot Sprite

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »
Next up was changing the spark plugs and the air filter.

As said before the car had developed some hesitation under load and lumpiness on a steady throttle at around 3000RPM. I've decided that the sadist that made the decision to involve remove arch liners in order to replace headlamp bulbs was the same sadist that involved removing the air inlet and associated gubbins to access the spark plugs!

For those what want to do the same here are the steps that I took and the tools used.

• Phillips and flat bladed screwdrivers
  • 10mm socket on a 3/8" drive wrench and extension
  • 16mm spark plug socket on a 1/2" drive wrench and extension
  • Disposable gloves and plenty of swearing

First, remove the air filter inlet tubing and gain access to the elbow, MAF sensor etc underneath:

Undo the snap clips and the 3 mounting bolts on the filter tray (front, left and rear), bolts require a 10mm socket. then remove the filter tray and set to one side. Undo the jubilee clips on the elbow and disconnect the various sensors and cable retainers to allow easier movement when moving the air inlet assembly, use a flat bladed screwdriver to lever it out of the rubber elbow.

Remove the smaller hoses from their retaining clips and manoeuvre the intake assembly out of the way. Disconnect the electrical connector and then remove the retaining bolt from the coil packs (10mm socket again). I removed the coil packs and laid them out in order so they would go back into the same cylinders later.

Using a 16mm spark plug socket remove the plug from each cylinder. 3 of the plugs were in a not-bad state:

But the plug in cylinder number 2 was barely hand tight when I removed it and this had obviously been and air ingress point, the plug was quite bad sooted the coil pack was equally dirty compared to the other 3  :o

The new plugs were a set of Denso IK16TT iridiums from spark plugs.co.uk https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-iridium-tt-spark-plug-ik16tt. They come with a 1.0mm gap and the handbook specifies 1.2mm to 1.3mm. 5 minutes and a set of feeler gauges later and the were set to 1.2mm. I carefully dropped them into the cylinders then followed up with the 16mm spark plug socket having removed the rubber holder first otherwise the holder overcomes the tension on the extension and you leave the socket in the plug well! Each plug was finger tightened and then followed up with 1/2 a turn on the socket wrench as per Denso's instructions.

The retraced my earlier steps to rebuilt the air intake assembly. Took out the air filter which looked in decent shape anyway (thinking about it, I can't remember if I changed this out last year or not) and dropped in the K+N filter and then boxed it all back up again.

Final part was to hang the Denso air freshener, got to be good for 3hp on its own!!  :D

On the result of the subsequent test drive the ignition problems seemed to have gone but this might have been down to the loose plug rather than plugs at the end of their lives. Their is a slight increase in throttle response and induction noise with the new filter so all is good. Next engine stage is a new freer breathing exhaust and then probably and ECU tweak; suspension and brakes first though.

Offline kettle738

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »

Great stuff, very informative.......and in the absence of workshop manuals for these cars probably the best guide to some basic procedures.

Thank you.

Mazda 2 Forums UK

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »