Author Topic: Worn second gear synchro ring?  (Read 118 times)

Offline hjm3251

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
Worn second gear synchro ring?
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
Shifting from 1st to 2nd now, at say 2500rpm, has developed a distinct and disconcerting crunch. The car is at 38k miles, of which I have done 10k and as recently as up to 2k miles ago shifting up into second was a buttery proposition. Now it resists the gear for a moment, with a vaguely audible grind for a second before dropping in. I'd also like to mention that it has absolutely no beef with going from 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd.

I've seen people associate this with a bad clutch, identified by a crunchy reverse gear engage which frankly I have always had. I don't believe its the clutch, engine off or on with the clutch in the reverse gear is usually unwilling to participate the first attempt.

On the other hand, my engine is noticeably rev hangy on a cold start between shifts. Surely a cold start shouldn't effect the clutches ability to disengage? I don't know what to make of any of it. Any input is hugely appreciated. Faulty clutch or not a failing synchro ring at 38k would be absolutely appalling to me. (3rd, 4th and 5th are unaffected in shift quality.)

Mazda 2 Forums UK

Worn second gear synchro ring?
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »